Groundbreaking for St. Michael's sanctuary building took place on June 14, 1948. The Rev. Dr. George C. Weiser, newly installed as the first rector of St. Michael's, presided at the happy occasion.
Excavation of the building site began soon after the groundbreaking. The large power shovel must have been an impressive, if not totally welcome, presence to the homeowners along North Ivanhoe Street, shown in the background, above.
The cornerstone for the new church was laid in a ceremony on August 14, 1948. Masons in ceremonial aprons presided at the placement of the stone, which is stituated on the corner to the right of the main entrance to the church on Ivanhoe Street.
Workmen in caps—but not hard hats—make headway on the foundation and walls of the new building. Later they would tackle the complex structure of the roof and buttresses.
Six months after groundbreaking, the building was completed. The first service held in the new St. Michael's Church was on Christmas Eve, 1948. At right is the cover of the service leaflet from that evening.
Site Map St. Michael's Episcopal Church | 1132 North Ivanhoe Street, Arlington, Virginia 22205 | 703-241-2474