Founding of St. Michael's On September 23, 1945, a month after the end of World War II, 17 laypeople met with a diocesan missioner to discuss the formation of a mission church near Westover, to better serve the Arlington community, which had more than doubled its population in the wartime years.
The group chose the parish name by consulting the Prayer Book and noting the closest Holy Day, September 29: St. Michael's. After holding services in a private home and school library, the congregation, under the leadership of its first pastor, the Rev. Dr. George C. Weiser (serving from 1947 until 1955), moved to its new sanctuary on North Ivanhoe Street on Christmas Eve 1948.
The First 40 Years By 1957, with Sunday school classes meeting in every cranny and even in parishioners' homes, the vestry and new rector, the Rev. David R. Matlack (serving from 1956 until 1964), launched the building of our educational-administrative wing.
In 1964 St. Michael's bought the current rectory as a home for its third rector, Rev. George Lyon Pratt. He served us 20 years (until retirement), overseeing sanctuary renovations, including the installation of the Bible-story stained-glass windows.
But another story was unfolding: our increased involvement in community programs and international missions. A part-time associate rector and full-time lawyer, Rev. Jess Stribling, challenged us spiritually and organized fellowship opportunities. Another associate, Rev. Robert Craighill, RADM, USN, Ret.(photo at left), drew us into nursing home ministry; he remained as a much-loved assistant rector until his death in 1999.
The 1980's and 1990's In 1986 we called the Rev. Charles E.B. Gill as our fourth rector. His ministry, with a focus on community outreach, attracted young families to St. Michael's; the Sunday school was revitalized, and we conducted a successful Growing in the Spirit capital funds drive that retired our debt and funded significant renovations, such as a new kitchen.
When Fr. Gill left in 1994 to pastor his "idyllic" ocean-side parish in Nags Head, North Carolina, we were pleased that our assistant rector, the Rev. Jane Heenan (in photo on left, with organist David Donaldson) stayed on as Interim Rector.
The week of the Great Blizzard of January 1996, we warmly welcomed Rev. Howard Humphrey from an Oklahoma City parish that had been affected by the tragic bombing. His leadership of a well-rounded program particularly emphasized strong biblical teaching. For part of his tenure, Fr. Howard was assisted by Rev. Bill Weiler, who has now retired.We appreciated Fr. Humphrey's pastoral care, especially in his last weeks with us, when one of our daughters lost a Navy husband in the terrorist attack on the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.
During late 2001 and 2002, while we were undertaking the search for a new rector, St. Michael's was well served by the Rev. David Cox as Interim Rector.
Starting a New Century The Rev. Leslie J. Hague accepted the call to become our sixth rector in late November 2002 and served at St. Michael's through September 2016.
The Rectors of St. Michael's
Rev. Dr. George C. Weiser, Rector 1947-1955
Rev. David R. Matlack, Rector 1956-1964
Rev. George Lyon Pratt, Rector 1964-1984
Rev. Charles E.B. Gill, Rector 1986-1994
Rev. Howard Humphrey, Rector 1996-2001, with wife Sharon
Rev. Leslie Hague, Rector 2002-2016
Site Map St. Michael's Episcopal Church | 1132 North Ivanhoe Street, Arlington, Virginia 22205 | 703-241-2474